Testing Your Vision With the Amsler Grid
You can check your vision daily by using an Amsler grid like the one pictured here. You may find changes in your vision that you wouldn't notice otherwise. Putting the grid on the front of your refrigerator is a good way to remember to look at it each day.
To use the grid:
- Wear your reading glasses and hold this grid 12 to 15 inches away from your face in good light
- Cover one eye
- Look directly at the center dot with the uncovered eye
- While looking directly at the center dot, note whether all lines of the grid are straight or if any areas are distorted, blurred or dark
- Repeat this procedure with the other eye
- If any area of the grid looks wavy, blurred or dark, contact our office immediately at 605.343.4102
A printable version of this information sheet is available by clicking here.